- How fast is the internet in Hall?
- Is there a bandwidth limit?
- How much does internet access cost?
- What happens if I abuse my internet connection?
- How do I use the Wifi at the Hall?
- How do I access my college email over the web?
- How do I set up my iPhone / Android device to use the Wifi / access my Email?
- As a student, what free / cut price software can I get?
- Do I get a phone in my room? How much does it cost to use?
1. How fast is the internet in Hall?
The internet connection in your room is part of the College network and so is very very quick: 100Mbps connection via Ethernet (using a cable) and 50Mbps connection via WiFi (wireless).
2. Is there a bandwidth limit?
Yes – a rolling limit of 10GB per 24 hour period for all your devices on the halls network. If you need to download something larger (like Autocad), use a PC cluster on campus and then transfer it to your personal pc using a removable hard drive.
Note: The following exemptions do not count towards the 10GB bandwidth limit:
All web traffic
All flash traffic including streaming media services such as Youtube, BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITunes
Internal College traffic including College email services, access to central file servers, Imperial websites and any other Imperial services.
i.e. General normal usage of the internet including streaming (over HTTP) is not really limited…
See here for more information.
3. How much does internet access cost?
Nothing – its completely free.
4. What happens if I abuse my internet connection?
Should you download material Imperial College deems to be unsuitable, use BitTorrent or other P2P software, or exceed your download limit, you may be banned from using the network and your personal tutor may be notified.
5. How do I use WiFi in Halls?
WiFi is available throughout Wilkinson Hall but we recommend using the much faster wired-network when in your room. The set-up instructions for WiFi at Imperial College are available here.
6. Can I get my Imperial Email over the web?
Starting September 2014, all undergraduate email accounts are moving to the cloud-based Microsoft Office 365 service. You can check whether yours is a 365 account and find how to guides on the 365 set-up page (you will need your Imperial log in credentials).
7. How do I set up my iPhone / Android device to use the Wifi / access my Email?
Please follow the set-up instructions that are linked here.
8. As a student, what cut price software can I get?
- CAD Software: http://students.autodesk.com/
- Microsoft Developer Tools: http://dreamspark.com/
- Microsoft Office: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/
9. Do I get a phone in my room? How much does it cost to use?
Each room has its own broadband internet connection and landline. Details about the landline, how to set it up and costs, can be found here.
Not answered your question?
Leave a comment below, and we’ll get back to you with an answer!